Saturday, June 19, 2010

It's About Power

   Why I'm a Witch

      I love being a witch because it has taught me about my own power, and the fact that I am, indeed, a powerful person.  I'm not refering to the patriarchal, business-crushing, over-taking, outright taking, self-serving, unthinking, un-fulfilling force we tend to think of as power in this culture.  I'm talking about the life-mending, self-healing, earth-tending, nurturing, sustaining, loving, growing, learning, compassionate power inherent in our descision to live for everyone.  To live life every day as if you can make a difference, because you can.  We all can.  To be kind is something that has become almost profound in our society.
    When I started to study witchcraft, I didn't immediately sense how much inner-work this would encompass.  If I haven't already mentioned, responsibility is HUGELY important in the craft.  If you're going to be working with energy and trying to affect reality, you had better have clear and harmless intentions!  This is why you hear the rule of three: whatever you send out comes back to you threefold.  That should be enough to make anyone think.  With every freedom or power, there comes equal responsibility.  When you realize that every action, every interaction in your day is what builds the future, you become keenly aware of the importance of walking your talk.
      I am not a Witch in circle or ritual or at Pagan gatherings, I am a Witch every moment of every day and I do my best to live up to what that means to me.  That's a pretty tall order some days.  It means that I love everyone and everything as it is.  I see Divine energy in all living things and I believe all humans are my brothers and sisters.  I also acknowledge the darkness inherent in all light and, to keep safe and healthy, do my best to avoid people or places that feel threatening.  I try to open my vision as I open myself.  I make time to spend outside and take time to pray.  I know that I'm always growing, that there are always things that need improving, and I love myself as I am and the path this growth allows.  I have deep gratitude to an endless list of teachers, many in the craft and many in other traditions.  I see the world as a school but I see life as an opportunity to make our world better.  If right now that means working on my self, I can see the power in that, as I know the ripples my healing will create.  In that vain, I have great gratitude to everyone in the world who is working to better themselves, who is working to heal, who is learning, who is kind, who is becoming every day...

6 comments:

  1. If only more people would use their power in discovering their inner self as oppose to using their power over others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! We need to remember that we're not here to GET all we can, we're here to GIVE all we can, to give whatever gifts are uniquely our own. In order to do this, we have to go inside and learn what's there to give.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post was lovely. I am learning more and more about myself everyday. And the biggest issue I'm working on, is not to be so closed off-I'm trying to open my heart, appreciate and show gratitude for what I have--not what I don't have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. It can be hard and frightening to live with your heart open. I think as we grow we learn that it can be painful and most of us retreat and close down on some level. Gratitude helps us to see the beauty in life every day, reminding us what we are opening our hearts to!`

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm fascinated by your post and the fact that you put so much emphasis on responsibilty - a great thing in my opinion.. We have friends with all kinds of beliefs and I'm intrigued by yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! It seems rare that people (or companies) want to really take responsibility for the things we do or say. It's hard to admit we were wrong or apologize. I've learned that it's much easier to consider consequences BEFORE I do something. That's not to say that I always do that or that I don't make mistakes. It's just a tool that helps me to be more mindful. I'm glad to hear you're intrigued by my path. It's a beautiful one and I invite anyone who is interested to gaze down it and learn more! I intend to keep up with the "Why I'm a Witch" posts and if you ever have questions or things you want to know more about, feel free to ask!!

    ReplyDelete